Thursday, May 15, 2014

When Only God Can Move Our Mountains

Mt. Everest-Photo credit Wikipedia




There's a dark storm brewing over parts of our family right now; a black sky that blocks out the sun.  Something terrible is in the making.  And there's no safe place to run. We are watching impossible situations unfold that we have zero control over.


It's tearing our hearts out. And I feel broken. Wondering why God has allowed this. 
 Yet even at the cost of losing  people we love ardently, we must stand firmly on the word of God. We choose the mercy of the cross over everything else; even over relationships we value. By God's grace, we are rooted,  deeply established, grounded. Prepared for a battle.

 Lord help us bear up under the coming storm. 


Standing helpless and broken, yet firmly on this hill, we cry out to a faithful God, who loves His children more than we can  possibly imagine.
"Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice." ~Psalm 55:17 



We cry out for His mercy and grace and look to His promise of favor.

“These are the ones I look on with favor:
    those who are humble and contrite in spirit,
    and who tremble at my word." ~Isaiah 66:2



And to a God whose perfect love casts out fear.

For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we may boldly say: "The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?" ~Hebrews 13:5-6





Because God is our ultimate hope when there is nothing else left;


When the world comes crashing down and the lives of those we love are in shambles.


When only God can move our mountains.


When we are standing as if a small child, facing an army of giants.


When we find ourselves utterly alone.


When we are wishing for the easy button.


When friends desert us.


When we live with chronic pain.


When children we love are used selfishly.


When we are in the depths of depression.


When our health fails.

When relationships are broken.


When money runs out.

When disease moves in too swiftly.


When we watch death move in closer .

When we think life is already nearly unbearable and bad news keeps coming.


And when the smidgen of strength and faith we have left, is waning.





A Holy God is still there on His throne.



Unshakable, 
 unafraid, unwavering, undefeated.



Everlasting.


"Before the mountains were born, before you brought forth the earth and the skies, from everlasting to everlasting, you are God." 
~ Psalm 90:2




What can we do as the darkness from impossible situations falls like a blanket over our lives? 

When there is no human hope left?
When only a miracle will help? 





We can choose to proclaim truth instead of defeat:





That His mercies are new every morning.

“The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness” 
~Lamentations 3:22-23



That there is enough grace for every day and every situation. 
"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed" 
~2 Corinthians 9:8


We don't have to live in fear of our battles.
"You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked." 
~Psalm 91:5-8


We can proclaim the Love of God.
"But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of distress." 
~Psalm 59:16


We can rely on God's protection.
“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.” 
~Psalm 91:14-16 


We can trust Him to work in us despite our failures.
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the Rock and firm Strength of my heart and my Portion forever." 
~Psalm 73:26 


We can trust in the victory of the cross.
"Yet amid all these things we are more than conquerors and gain a surpassing victory through Him Who loved us. For I am persuaded beyond doubt (am sure) that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities, nor things impending and threatening nor things to come, nor powers, Nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" 
~Romans 8:37-39 


We can trust Him for comfort.
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God” 
~2 Corinthians 1:3-4


At the end of the day, if  we lose everything we have, and all we have left is the Lord, then the Lord is all we need.
He alone is enough.


Christ alone is enough.

And regardless of the upcoming storms,

there's a tremendous amount of comfort in that.







3 comments:

  1. God is the same yesterday, today and FOREVER!!! Amen and Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right.

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete